Here are the characteristics of my day, which added together definitely qualify as a day of rest:
- I had absolutely no plans for the entire day.
- I slept in until 8:30am.
- I didn't shower until the afternoon.
- I spent the morning playing with my daughter, eating pancakes with my wife, and watching Meet the Robinsons with the whole family.
- We actually had time to wrap everybody up warm and take a 20 minute walk out in the cold.
- We had some friends over spontaneously for Thanksgiving leftovers and conversation.
- I got a sum total of 2 emails, to which I sent zero responses.
- Most importantly: I felt very rested at the end of the day.
Yesterday makes me think that it may be time to reconsider our Mondays slightly. I am convinced that my personal service to the church is dependent on God, and that he uses a few primary means to strengthen me for service:
- Daily times in his Word and prayer
- My wife's labor in the home to free me for service
- The Sabbath day of rest and refreshment
And maybe in the process I can accomplish an even more amazing feat: get my wife a day of rest, too.